Components of our Healthy Lifestyles program include:
- Education on nutrition and healthy habits
- Weight, height and BMI quarterly assessments
- Ensuring that all Club members engage in at least 30 minutes of physical fitness at the Club each day
- President’s Physical Fitness training
- Healthy cooking classes
- Age-specific programs that teach students how to make smart choices and avoid drugs, alcohol, teen pregnancy, gangs and other risky behaviors
- Physicals and dental/vision/health screenings by medical professionals offered free of charge at the Club, thanks to a partnership with ProHealth Community Health Center
- Nutritional snacks provided each day, and full meals during spring/fall breaks and summer
- Award winning Mule Town Baseball program that has introduced hundreds of low-income, primarily minority youth to the game of baseball and created a positive community outlet in the previously under-utilized Fairview Park
Some of the outcomes achieved through our Healthy Lifestyles programs include:
- 60% of Club members demonstrated increased knowledge of nutrition and healthy habits on a pre/post-test last school year.
- In 2013 we received the Program Excellence Award for having the top sports and recreation program in the state, out of over 75 other Clubs, for our Mule Town Baseball RBI (Reviving Baseball in the Inner Cities) program.